7,563 reputation
531
bio website
location
age
visits member for 1 year, 11 months
seen 12 hours ago

Feb
19
awarded  Nice Answer
Feb
18
awarded  Enlightened
Feb
18
awarded  Nice Answer
Feb
17
comment How can I get a copyright for my e-book?
@babou: You can sue for specific damages corresponding to value of sales of the plagiarist in case of commercial use (which may exceed the costs of attorney fees etc by far). In case of non-commercial use you can sue for statutory damages, which are unlikely to cover the extra costs of the lawsuit which will appear if you didn't register.
Feb
17
comment How can I get a copyright for my e-book?
@DougM: Not registering leaves you almost defenseless against non-commercial violations (like net piracy). Sure you can never register, not even keep a recording with first creation date, and still have copyright, which will be completely useless (unenforceable) at that point.
Feb
16
comment How can I get a copyright for my e-book?
@babou: Primarily, this is derived from local law. Berne Convention normalizes when copyright is in effect, but various countries handle various methods of proving so differently, e.g. the "mail a copy to yourself, don't open the envelope with dated mail stamp" is one that is currently no longer accepted in the US, while still acceptable in Poland. Also, for literary works you're normally supposed to go to a notary if not immediately publishing your work (then the Publisher handles that), while in the US you go to Copyright Office.
Feb
7
comment How to display URLs in a textbook?
Personally I believe the asker is overthinking this. It's a very simple matter and trying to find a second bottom like a formal set of rules is like trying to find a formally correct direction of stirring tea.
Feb
7
answered How to define a research question when the output is a product, used in research?
Feb
7
comment Types/Categories of rhyme?
I believe this is a question about study of the language, and as such, belongs to English.SE
Feb
3
answered How to display URLs in a textbook?
Feb
3
answered Can I use the same figure twice in a report?
Jan
31
answered Should write “I/he/she said” in dialogue with ambiguous action tags?
Jan
31
comment Hypothetical interview with Jesus Christ. Has to be deep?
Well, you can always lampshade it with "They got it completely wrong! I said none of these things!"(referring to the Bible) and then have the Jesus to be whomever you want.
Jan
30
revised Why doesn't everyone publish public domain books?
deleted 3 characters in body
Jan
30
comment Writing in between dream sequences
Also: Falling asleep and waking up are an excellent place for a section break (*~*~*) - the shift of the scene between "bed" and "dreamscape" is smooth with us already being inside the dream, or awake, at the start of given section.
Jan
30
answered Why doesn't everyone publish public domain books?
Jan
27
comment Writing a short documentary about a medical clinic
Not all the puzzle pieces. Assemble what you have, spot pieces you still miss, things that could be clarified or done better, and then create the missing material. Essentially, create 80% "by hunch" and fill remaining 20% with "scripted".
Jan
25
comment Referencing the process of writing the novel as a part of the novel's plot
The site about naming everything but super-obscure subjects is EL&U. Still, naming a technique used in writing seems quite on-topic here. Also, on topic: If you reference the book itself, it's frequently called "going meta". If your characters address or mention your readers, this is "breaking the fourth wall".
Jan
24
comment Can a character read a short excerpt from published literature?
That's awfully skimpy info you give there. Legally you're in the clear as KJV is public domain, but whether you should cut off, summarize or quote verbatim depends on quite a few factors involving what you write actually.
Jan
24
comment How to write engaging and relevant backstory
IMHO if you want a plot-driven story with the protagonist so extremely generic he doesn't need any backstory, you'd better make the plot beyond brilliant, or the result will be rather on the poor side. The backstory may be very simple. "He was a no-life spending days in front of his computer in a depressive stupor" is nowhere as glorious as the story of ring wraiths, but it still works.