Writers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for authors, editors, reviewers, professional writers, and aspiring writers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sometimes journalistic articles have a brief about-the-author sort of blurb at the end, frequently italicized, of a general form resembling:

J. Random Hacker is a dog groomer for the United States National Security Agency. He likes eggs.

How does one most properly refer to these?

share|improve this question
That could also be their job title, the example that you wrote would most likely appear in a satire magazine – DragonSlayer Oct 22 '13 at 18:57
The blurb may include a title, but I believe the question is asking what the whole block of text is called. – Monica Cellio Oct 22 '13 at 20:48
up vote 3 down vote accepted

That would be the "author bio"

Here are some links that may be of use:

share|improve this answer

There are many great jargon terms for these things. At one publication we called any such blurb an "excuse" (pronounced as the word that means 'why something happened,' not 'excuse me')

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.