Writers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for authors, editors, reviewers, professional writers, and aspiring writers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any list of words use in screenplay? Like below. What word I can use to describe the sound of metal gate and a sound of a tower built in metal? THUD - body fall sound BANG - some blast sound, etc

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Consider screech, clang, clank, groan.

screech, “A high-pitched strident or piercing sound, such as that between a moving object and any surface.”
clang, “A loud, ringing sound, like that made by free-hanging metal objects striking each other.”
clank, “A loud, hard sound of metal hitting metal. Usage note: Clank usually expresses a duller or less resounding sound than clang, and a deeper and stronger sound than clink.”
groan, for which wiktionary only shows senses like “A low, mournful sound uttered in pain or grief”, but the word sometimes is used to characterize rending, wrenching, ratcheting, or tearing noises as metal is stressed not just beyond its yield point but beyond its ultimate strength.

share|improve this answer

Why not simply describe the FX you want.

Footsteps on gravel, rusty metal gate opening, reverberating gunshot, scream of pain is far more useful in a screenplay than Crunch, Creak, Kapowee, Aaaagh. Unless of course you are writing a comic book.

share|improve this answer
This has the added benefit of telling a sound designer what sound to reproduce, rather than having then guess what kaboooom means. – Neil Fein May 7 '13 at 23:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.