I'm writing a technical book about one programming technology and would like to compare how much time other authors spend on one page (on average). I rarely write a page and am done with it, quite usually there is a lot of restructuring, refining and formatting going on after that.
I'd say I spend about 1.5 - 2 hours on every page, that time being roughly divided this way:
- ~1 hour writing (creating the original rough content)
- ~0.5h refining and improving style
- ~0.25h formatting (applying styles, creating screenshots etc.)
What are your usual times?
EDIT: I feel that the question has been misunderstood or possibly not very well written so I'm adding these points:
- I'm interested in your experience, not estimates.
- I'm interested in the average time - a single number, hopefully with some insights into how that time is split. You've written a book with 300 pages and it took you e.g. 1000 hours - that's what I'm after.
- Where I live, the page is defined as 1800 characters with spaces but it doesn't matter. See the point above.
Thanks for all who answered so far, although this question has quite a few downvotes I am still interested in your experience.