Writers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for authors, editors, reviewers, professional writers, and aspiring writers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a term in literary criticism for a character who espouses the points of view of the author? Especially, but not necessarily, if that character has no other role in the work. (This is different from a "Mary Sue".)

share|improve this question

migrated from literature.stackexchange.com Apr 26 '12 at 21:49

This is sooo sad...Lit SE going down and all the migrateable things coming to us. :( – Aerovistae Apr 26 '12 at 23:06
TVTropes uses the term Author Filibuster. – Joe Z. Feb 26 '13 at 18:31
up vote 4 down vote accepted

A mouthpiece is a person who speaks on behalf of another person, often used in a derogatory fashion. John Galt, for instance, who monologues on the subject at extreme length could be considered a mouthpiece for Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism.

There's also the possibly less apt raisonneur, which Lewis Turco defines as

a "chorus character," one who performs the function of a Greek chorus in that he or she comments on the action of play, sometimes speaking as a surrogate (stand-in, mouthpiece) for the author and acting like the omniscient or ironicalnarrator of a Victorian novel

which also gives surrogate and stand-in as alternatives.

share|improve this answer
While matching what I was looking very precisely, that seems to be an informal term, based on dictionary definition. Is there some sort of "official" literary criticism acknowledgement that this is indeed the standard term used for such characters? – DVK Mar 12 '12 at 9:02
Added a link to the Google Books version of Lewis Turco's "The Book of Literary Terms". – Ben Williams Mar 12 '12 at 9:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.