Writers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for authors, editors, reviewers, professional writers, and aspiring writers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recall seeing the word "Ends." placed at the end of documents to indicate that, obviously, nothing else follows. Is this acceptable standard usage? It feels rather archaic (not that that's necessarily a bad thing), although it does serve a purpose. Are there any alternatives?

Example usage can be found here.

share|improve this question

migrated from english.stackexchange.com Jul 14 '11 at 15:09

This question came from our site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts.

I don't think I've seen this. Do you remember where you saw it - ie. what form of writing it was? – Kate S. Jul 14 '11 at 15:39
Could this be the same as "FIN" that you sometimes used to see at the end of films? – Craig Sefton Jul 14 '11 at 19:01
Context would really help here - screenplays? Tech writing? Newspaper columns? Long-form graffiti? Even if it's a common convention, it's probably a convention only in a very specific context. – Standback Jul 14 '11 at 21:30
@Craig: "Fin" is just the French word for "End". So "Fin" in French -language movies is the same as "The End" in old English-language movies. – Roy Dictus Jul 15 '11 at 12:15
@Roy Yes, I knew what it meant, but I've seen it in English films, too. – Craig Sefton Jul 15 '11 at 13:53
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It is part of the standard way of finishing a press release. Some of these formal documents still use these conventions.

It comes, I think, from the time when press releases came on a teleprinter, and it was important to mark the end, so that it was clear to the recipient that the entire release had been received.

share|improve this answer

I've seen two or three hash marks ## or -30- at the end of press releases and news articles.

share|improve this answer
"-30-"? Intriguing. What's that for? – Standback Jul 14 '11 at 21:31
@Standback - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%9330%E2%80%93 – Craig Sefton Jul 14 '11 at 21:40
and the three Xs became three hash marks, as above. – Lauren Ipsum Jul 14 '11 at 23:58

It's usually a full square that ends fx a news article. I believe there exist different kinds of text ending marks for different writing cultures, styles and genres. Take a look at these:




share|improve this answer
oh, a printer's dingbat. I never thought of that, but you're right. It does indicate the end of a piece, or an article within a larger publication. – Lauren Ipsum Jul 17 '11 at 0:48
And used in many ways - also in fx mathematic proofs or ending scientific examples. – Steeven Jul 24 '11 at 14:52

### and --30-- are/were used as industry-specific conventions to standardize and add quality controls to copy.

fin and various ornamental dingbats are used on the finished product, for the viewers help in recognizing the end of an article, book, section, chapter, film, etc. Again, certain conventions are established for each industry, and of course these evolve with time.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.