Writers Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for authors, editors, reviewers, professional writers, and aspiring writers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The publication is in English.

Gobierno de Perú. Ministerio de Agricultura. 2012. Plan estratégico sectorial multiannual 2012-2016. Lima.

or should that be:

Government of Peru. Ministry of Agriculture. 2012. Plan estratégico sectorial multiannual 2012-2016. Lima.


share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The correct answer will depend on your style guide. Usually (e.g. in APA) you don't tranlsate author names, publishers, etc. You give everything as it was in the original publication, with no changes.

The only part you do translate (into the language of your paper) is the title of the work you cite, e.g.

Ministerio de Agricultura. (2012). Plan estratégico sectorial multiannual 2012-2016 [Multiannual sectoral strategic plan 2012-2016]. Lima: Ministerio de Agricultura. Available online at http://www.minag.gob.pe/portal/download/pdf/marcolegal/normaslegales/resolucionesministeriales/2012/mayo/pesem2012-2016.pdf

I'm just guessing the meaning of the title here, you'll have to correctly translate that yourself.

Do not put "Gobierno de Perú" as part of the author name. The government did not author that document. If Peter Swanwick of the University of Nebraska writes a paper, the author is not "University of Nebraska, Peter Swanwick". Your publication was authored by the ministry of agriculture, not the whole of the government, so the government must not appear as part of the author name.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.