In the context of a formatted manuscript, the "word count" isn't the precise number of words, nor is it directly inferred from the number of pages.
What you're actually doing here is finding the number of lines your manuscript will take, because a line with just a few words on it still takes up as much page space as a line that's full to the end. But even this description is imprecise, because you need to adjust this calculation around the specifics of how you formatted your particular document. (Intuitively: if I produce two manuscripts which are identical, but one has wider margins then the other, then that one will have "more lines" in the ms. -- but they'll obviously be identical in final layout.)
There are different ways to make this estimate. Here's what I've used.
- Format your manuscript for submission. Among other things, this means:
- You'll be using a monospaced font (where each character is the same width, e.g.
- Each full page will have the same number of lines on it. (You'll turn off "Widows and Orphans" - that's the option that prevents dangling lines on their lonesome by shifting lines from one page to another. You want that option off for your MS.)
- So now every page has the same number of lines, and every line has a cap of how many characters long it can be.
- Choose a "full" line, one that begins on one end of the page and reaches all the way to the end. Count how many characters are in the line (in Word, you can just check the column for the last character).
- You can artificially "create" a full line by typing
aaaaaaaa... until you fill up one full line, just to count. Make sure not to start with a tab indentation!
- Divide your number of characters-per-line by 6. This is your Words-Per-Line.
- So if a full line is 60 characters long, your words-per-line is 10.
- Count the number of lines in one page. This is your Lines-Per-Page.
- Your Wordcount = Words-Per-Line x Lines-Per-Page x Numer-Of-Pages
Other variations exist, and they're all fine - wordcount is an estimate, not a precise calculation.
You'll find more information on manuscript formatting and wordcount estimation here: