What topics can I ask about here?
Anyone who hasn't been to any Stack Exchange site may want to check out our About page.
Writers Stack Exchange is for authors, editors, reviewers, bloggers, copywriters, professional and aspiring writers.
Instead of wading through a lot of random discussion-board chat to get to the good stuff, the best answers are always voted to the top!
This is not a web forum, it's a question and answer site. The difference can be subtle, but here's the short version: This is not a place where people pose questions to spark discussions; this is a place set up do you can ask specific questions that can be answered definitively and clearly. Forums are awesome, and we love them! But this is a place meant to post canonical questions and answers. So while "what should I write" is a fine question for a forum, it won't attract clear, definitive answers here.
While the limits of art may include all sorts of topics, themes, and means of expression, the limits of StackExchange are stricter. Please do not include expletives or offensive content as part of your question, even if such is part of your writing.
If you want to get a more detailed break down of how the site works or why a certain question is on or off topic, then you can browse the questions tagged [on-topic-definition] on the discussion site.
What is this place? How is it different from any other forum?
This site is about writing, and is designed to be useful to writers. If you have questions about the act of writing, about being a writer, or how to use writing techniques, your questions are welcome here. Specific types of questions that are allowed are listed just below this section, but questions about grammar or asking us to proofread stuff will be closed.
What's on-topic here?
Note: We're currently consolidating and simplifying what questions are allowed here. The contents of this meta thread will be used to update this page.
Here are the topics allowed and not allowed, taken from both community discussion on the matter as well as the original site definition when it was launched:
Questions on these topics are welcome here:
- Non-fiction, technical, or scholarly writing
- Writing fiction, poetry, song lyrics
- General copywriting, style, and organization
- Professional-level blogging
- The publishing and editing process itself
On the other hand, these kinds of questions aren't allowed here:
- Questions seeking to interpret or analyze an existing work.
- Proofreading requests.
- Requests to critique your work. However, please do feel free to use your own writing as examples in on-topic questions.
- The strictly interpreted correctness of English grammar or syntax rules (please ask those on English Stack Exchange, instead).
- Finding a professional to write for you, be your agent, etc.
- A specific, localized shopping recommendation as described here.
- Asking "what should I write about" (more about this here).
- Requests to rephrase something - a few sentences, or even a single sentence.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Writers Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.